Back in September I picked up 3 of these awesome mdf Ikea "Moppe" 4 drawer mini chests to decorate up for desk storage in my studio. I had a wonderful weekend with crafty friends in Harrogate and took one of them with me to do for my Sunday "freestyle" project.
Whilst I'm on the subject, I'd definitely recommend a crafty getaway! It is good for the soul! This want anything huge, in fact there were 5 of us in total, but great fun was had by all and we went away vowing to repeat this again next year!
Anyway, back to the Moppe's! I pre-gessoed with a gesso/red acrylic mix which gave me a lovely pink base coat. I then gave it a thorough sanding before it was ready for the next stage.
I decided to découpage this set of drawers using 3 or 4 coordinating papers from my stash. I tore the papers roughly and inked the edges with Distress Ink.
All the papers were attached with Mod Podge Matte and finished with a coat of the Mod Podge to seal and protect.
I added a humming bird die cut to each of the end panels although I'm not sure if I like them now... Anyway, seeing as this set of drawers is sandwiched between 2 others, you can see the end anyway!...
For the drawer fronts, rather than decoupage the papers, I used one large sheet which looked great I think! After the glue was completely dry I used a craft knife to cut out the finger holes.
I could have turned the drawers back to front and attached knobs to open with but I didn't want to as I don't want to much bulk on the front encroaching into my valuable work space! I AM however going to add little metal label holders to the drawer fronts, one I've made up my mind which ones to get!
If interested, here is how the Moppe starts it's life, all preassembled and ready to get stuck into.
Thanks for stopping by and reading my blog.
Please enter this project into the following challenges: